Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Bulletin Boards » Trap Line Forum » Leaning pole set for coons....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Leaning pole set for coons....
EBK
Initiate Member
Member # 3448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EBK   Email EBK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you guys ever use it? Going to trap an area for beavers this fall and there are a lot of coons there. Unfortunately there is a chance of deer dogs coming through the area and I do not want to catch anyone's hunting dog. Was thinking the leaning pole set, about 4 feet high would work. Any suggestions?
Posts: 7 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
Dog Proof traps.
Posts: 8955 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NYCOYOTEHOUNDS
Member # 5274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYCOYOTEHOUNDS   Email NYCOYOTEHOUNDS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Hal. Leaning pole can work, but I believe dp's will increase your chances.
Posts: 42 | From: NY | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EBK
Initiate Member
Member # 3448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EBK   Email EBK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input guys. I will get some Duke dp's and give em a try. Was just going to use the 220's I already have, but I imagine you guys are right that the dp's will be better. Since I have never used them, is there going to be a problem with dogs turning them over, and ruining the set? That was my thinking with the 220's on a pole off the ground.
Posts: 7 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you might have some trouble with dogs knocking them over. And, if there are many dogs about, you may have trouble with them killing some of your coons. Even with that, you will most likely end up with more coons using DP traps than you would trying to get the coons to climb a pole and get into a 220. A "leaning pole" is more in the province of marten and fisher trapping than it is raccoon trapping.

Hal

Posts: 8955 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home