Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Land Animals & Trapping Archives » Step-down set?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Step-down set?
Pelt
Initiate Member
Member # 573

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pelt   Email Pelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain to me what a step-down set is and how it is constructed. I can sort of picture it but need a little guidance. Thanks
Posts: 15 | From: Mosinee, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trappnman
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I like the stepdown set as a changeup for coyotes. I will descibe how I make my set. After picking a location, I face away from the travel routes. I then use my trowel to outline a triangle about 18" on each side, with a base of about 12 inches. I then cut out and throw away the sod, and then dig out the entire bed so it is 2-3 inches below the surface of the surrounding ground. Next, dig a small dirthole at the tip of the triangle (this should be furthest away from you) so that it is parallel to the sod. What you want is a hole about 10 inches deep, that has no angle to it- just st back under the surface of the sod. Next, in one of the rear corners or the other, dig your trap bed. I stake right under the trap. When your trap is set and dirt is sifted over it, it should be level with the rest of the bed- so the whole bed, including hidden trap, is 2-3 inches below the ground level. Bait/lure as usual.....trappnman (in remakes, I often cut a piece of sod to bring in and lay over where my original hole was- and make a new bait hole under that)
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Beav
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beav         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I will give It a try.This set works better In sod type ground but can be modified to work In other types.
Dig a trench about 7 to 8 " long and about 6" deep.Make this trench about the same width of your trap pan.Now you have to under cut the sides of the trench so the trap will fit and when the trap goes off the jaws will come up.So you need to leave just a very thin layer of sod so it won't hider the jaws from closeing.Dig the dirt hole In the end of the trench this will be just about flat.When you place the trap you don't have to worry about bedding the trap since the only place the fox can step Is on the pan.Now the trap will be setting In the trench with the spring levers In line with the trench.Now where the rear lever sets, pile up dirt over this and and pack It.Build It up so It will be a little higher than the ground level,this little ridge will cause the fox to step over and down into the trap.Cover your trap as normall but you dont have to pack the ground around the jaws.Bait and lure as you would any set and you are good to go.I hope this Is of some help to you.
The Beav

Posts: 509 | From: Oregon WI | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
<musher>
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Great explanation, guys. I have a difficult time using this set because the ground in usually sand or gravel. I do have soil in the woods - but the fox aren't in the woods! Any ideas as to how I could modify this set for my terrain?
trappnman
unregistered

I found that a smaller stepdown didn't work so good for coyotes, so went to a larger version. I never make mine that deep- do you feel the deeper bed is needed because of the smaller size of theset?
trappnman
unregistered

musher- In never have much luck with this set except as the Beav says in sod situations. If you are trapping in gravel, etc- then you should make flat sets- work with the terrian- I thinks thats a secret to yote trapping- work with what you have- let the location dictate the set.....trappnman
<musher>
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
trappnman, No 'yotes here. I make dirtholes, scent posts for fox. I always try to include a walk through element in both. I was just hoping for a magic solution to shorten bedding time! It's a challenge to do in sand and gravel. I use coverhulls which helps but step downs would be another tool. Thanks.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home