More Trap Line Departments:
Rewind  On Track  Scrapbook  Trapper Edu.  State Regs.  Lynx  Feedback  Trap Line Home

Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases through our Supply Line Store help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Land Animals & Trapping Archives » Coyote Scat for an Attractor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coyote Scat for an Attractor
battlegroundtrapper
Member # 2394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for battlegroundtrapper   Email battlegroundtrapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would coyote scat be a good lure or attractor. If so would it need to be form a different are? What kind of set should i use.

[ 11-09-2005, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Archive ]

Posts: 32 | From: Cullman, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Freddybaer
Member # 1619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freddybaer   Email Freddybaer       Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote scat would be a good attactor. A coyote or fox deposits scat as a territorial marker or locator. It normally deposits scat at the location were another animal has made some form of marker. I have found them on straw piles,dirt piles in farmers fields,ant hill mounds and food caches,on rocks at the edges of fence rows and fields. The main set selection would be at food cache or bait hole in addition to bait and urine.The second would be some mound or ant hill near where the target coyote is traveling. I would use urine in addition to the scat at this location.As a additional comment I would use fox scat instead of coyote scat though. The coyote does not tolerate a fox within its territory and will be drawn heavily to this location to remark it. Good Luck
Posts: 81 | From: Marion Ohio | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
battlegroundtrapper
Member # 2394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for battlegroundtrapper   Email battlegroundtrapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The place i have seen the scat is on a road that leads to a greenfield. They come through every few days. In fact they were there last night and "marked thier territory" only 2 or 3 feet from my dirthole set. I had a rabbit skin partly hanging out of the hole and some fox urine on the sagegrass next to the dirthole. The fox urine gel i am using is not very strong because i can barely smell it when i hold it to my nose. Should i buy a stronger smelling fox scent?
Posts: 32 | From: Cullman, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Freddybaer
Member # 1619

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freddybaer   Email Freddybaer       Edit/Delete Post 
The good news is that the coyote scat close to your set is a good sign. It shows he knows it is there and marked it. As far as the fox urine, I do not know. I currently collect my own fox urine from animals that I keep. I am extremely careful about the Fox urine I use . It is the most important tool in your packbasket and is the great equalizer when it comes to trapping canines. I can only make recogmendations on how to buy it based on experience and my opinions. Fox urine should have a strong smell but not of ammonia. Ammonia smell is the result of the urine breaking down. If the ammonia smell is strong enough it will produce a unwanted responce in the animal. This is a subject for another time. My preferance by far is to buy from someone who fresh freezes it. If you do need a new urine keep this in mind.Now off the soapbox and on to the situation. The first thing to determine is whether you have a problem with some part of your set. The first question is have you had a serious approach to the set. What I mean by serious is some sign that the animal has got close to the set. Are there any tracks in the sifted dirt pattern or has the animal dug at the back of the set.If the animal has made a serious approach leave the set alone is it only a matter of time.The next question is how long has the set been in if it has been in longer than 4 or 5 days without a serious approach it might be time to change something. For right now since the animal knows the set is there I would not recogmend finding a new location yet. Remaking the set would probably be the best bet. Remake the set using fresh dirt with a clean set of gloves that you know have no scent on them. The trap has been in the dirt for 4 or 5 days so the dirt has absorbed any odors that were on the trap so don't replace the trap unless there is something obvious. Now is the time to use a better quality urine if you think you have a problem. Shake about 1 ounce of fox urine on backing of bait hole and sagebrush you mentioned.I would also use a good quality fox gland lure. Currently I would suggest Grawes or Hawbakers gland Lure. Take a stick or a piece of straw dip it in the Gland lure and put it on the rabbit fur in the bait hole. Just as an extra measure take some of the coyote scat an use it as a guide into the trap(put a little fox urine on the scat). I would also use skunk essence or long distance call upwind of your set 10 to 15 feet away. I hope this helps if you have any questions send a message back. Good Luck!
Posts: 81 | From: Marion Ohio | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
battlegroundtrapper
Member # 2394

Yesterday i bought a stronger smelling fox urine and sprayed it on the sage behind the dirthole. this morning when i checked the trap the coyote had ate the bait and ripped my rabbit hide to shreds. There were tracks onthe jaws ofthe trap but they never stepped on the pan. I put somemore bait in the hole and put what was left of the rabbit hide in the hole. I also moved the trap back about 4 inches so they should step right in it.
battlegroundtrapper
Member # 2394

Icon 10 posted      Profile for battlegroundtrapper   Email battlegroundtrapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank For all the help. Although i didn't get a coyote. I got a bobcat this morning. So i figure if i could get a bobcat i should be able to catch a coyote. I had no idea that a bobcat was ever near the place where i caught it. It was a big female. [Big Grin]
Freddybaer
Member # 1619

Great, I think you have an even better chance of catching a coyote now that the set is what I call cated up. Good luck
trappnman
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley E once told me...if you find several scat piles in an area...it usually means the coyote is comfortable in that area....
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home