More Trap Line Departments:
Rewind  On Track  Scrapbook  Trapper Edu.  State Regs.  Lynx  Feedback  Trap Line Home

Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases through our Supply Line Store help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Land Animals & Trapping Archives » help with bobcat in snow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help with bobcat in snow
fireman
Initiate Member
Member # 3903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fireman   Email fireman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
got a PA permit only a few weeks left.best sets for a cat in the snow found tracks cant get them to come in to my sets

[ 11-11-2007, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Archive ]

Posts: 2 | From: pa | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redsnow
Member # 3203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsnow   Email redsnow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with PA rules, if you can use snares?, set on the tracks/trails you've found would be about as good as any. Bobcat have a habit of walking in the exact same tracks. I once tracked a cat up a mountain road, then the trail split, then split again, 3 cats had walked in each others footprints, I'd guess over a half-mile. Looks like we're going to get more snow this weekend, if it stays cold a foothold would work, you'll probably need to remake the set every day or 2 to keep it from freezing down. Otherwise, a flashy dirthole is about as good as it gets. Just read a guys story in the AMERICAN TRAPPER, from PA, he used a squirrel tail for a flag, maybe the rules change in different areas of PA? If you have time, I'd spend a day following their tracks, (if you never have), you'll learn a LOT about bobcat, while you're crawling through the brush, never know, might even jump one. I did once, but have found several dens. [Smile]
Posts: 954 | From: WV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NEbowhunter
Member # 2559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEbowhunter   Email NEbowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think red snow hit er pretty well. when everything is covered with snow,it can be a good thing too. dark dirt sticks out real well in pure white surroundings. i've got the same conditions with 2 inches of ice covering everything under that.
it takes some time and some work,but i take a shovel or broom and clean out a 6 foot circle or so. then chip down to the bare dirt in that area, the whole time scattering your diggings out on the pure white snow. then chip in a big flashy dirt hole. if its frozen deep, them chip what you can, and finish it off piling a dead stump or some kind of smaller type cubby over what you have for a hole. i have to carry dry dirt with me, but i chip in my set. salt the heck out of it if you are in freeze thaw. if its going to stay below freezing the whole time i don't use the salt so it doesn't draw moisture to my set. personal preference there. but then when i'm done with the set i scatter some dry dirt all over the circle and just make a huge dirt mess on the pure white snow. you could see it for a half mile away. i've tracked cats going some distance away, see them stop and make a line right to the set. works for me in these conditions.

Posts: 574 | From: Holdrege, Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
claythomas
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for claythomas   Email claythomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The piece of that article that you mention Redsnow has raised the eyebrowes of some PA trappers. The regulation states that it is unlawful to BAIT a trap with meat or animal products if the bait is visible from the air. IMO the squirrel tail is not bait, it is only an attractant. Some may disagree, but if the purpose of the reg. is to keep raptors from being caught, I think it's a stretch to say what this guy did was endangering them. For that matter, if you stuff a chunk of bunny in a dirt whole of any significant angle w/o a wad of grass covering it up, a low and slow flying raptor would be able to spot it. Where does it end???? In a gray area I suppose.
Posts: 73 | From: south central PA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skipper
Member+
Member # 2628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skipper   Email skipper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you might try slipping a trap under a ready made foot print in the snow if the snow is deep enough.
if you need support under the trap in deeper snow then set the trap on top of a brick.

Posts: 675 | From: .Manheim Pennslvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redsnow
Member # 3203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsnow   Email redsnow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to drag the thread way off topic, but we also don't want to see "Fireman" with an appointment at the court house facing a big fine. Bait or "attractant", not much difference. Before I'd hang-up a squirrel tail near a set, I'd call your local DNR guy and ask if it's legal. Keep in mind the pamplet (you recieved when you bought your license) listing your regulations is a "summary" of game laws. Somewhere in Harrisburg is the "big book" listing all rules/regs. Chances are your local officer could shed a little light on the gray areas.

Another good cat set is the "buried skunk" set, mentioned above, leaves and pine needles scratched-up in a pile on top of snow, sticks out like a sore thumb. If you don't have a skunk, 4 or 5 drops of essence will do. Just my opinion, skunk juice and beaver castor are the best cat lures I've found. [Smile]

Posts: 954 | From: WV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home