Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Land Animals & Trapping Archives » Coons in 120 body grips.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coons in 120 body grips.
littleguns
Member # 2619

Icon 5 posted      Profile for littleguns   Email littleguns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Don't want to put Bob Noonan down or cause hate and discontent, but how does everyone feel about using a full 5in. body grip for coon?
I think it is a little chancy. Yes I have as well as a good many others have caught and held and it did kill Fisher and Coon. I'm not convinced that this is the way to go.
What Say You? [question]

Posts: 267 | From: Jay, Maine | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trapper25
Initiate Member
Member # 4030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trapper25   Email Trapper25   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with you i actually prefer a 220 for coon anyting smaller just seems too risky to me.
Posts: 6 | From: Port Wing, Wi | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archer01
Member # 2521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for archer01   Email archer01       Edit/Delete Post 
160's work great in bucket sets. In the water course.
That's the largest we can use here in Pa.
out of the water.

I would not consider 120's

Posts: 340 | From: N.E. Penna. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NEbowhunter
Member # 2559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEbowhunter   Email NEbowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not a giant body grip man so i'm not going to offer any advice here, just questions. what have the coons done that you guys have caught in the 120s? was it dead right there? or was the place torn up indicating quite a struggle? i guess i would think that based on spring power vs. area, the 120 would have to be close to the 220 right? maybe more? seems if you catch a coon in a 120, it would have to be a right behind the ears deal or you wouldn't get him at all in my estimation, and if you did, i would think it would be a done deal. i'm not defending or condemming here. i use 220's myself (when i use body grips for coon) but i would think it would be a bigger concern with refusals in the 120's than it would be with a humane kill, but thats why i'm enquiring here. not stating my experiences, but trying to see what you guys had come across. [Smile]
Posts: 574 | From: Holdrege, Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scout
Member # 2886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scout   Email scout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to use 160's when setting for coon in a water course. Still when all of my 160's are set I will set 120's. Both the 160's and 120's are set rock solid in boxes or dug in frames and held with four roofing nails so they cannot move until fired. The triggers on the 120's are bent up and backwards so that the trap goes off just before the trigger touches the roof of the box or frame and the jaw with the trigger on it is on the inside of the box. Coons appear to move only the distance the trap moves back when caught in the 120's. I have had small oppussums caught by the hips that struggled some as they were too far into the box and I suspect that some can get in and out without firing them. Largest coon I ever caught was in a 120 and it did not appear to have moved. If I couldn't use 160's I would not feel handicapped using the 120's.
Posts: 25 | From: Northeast PA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Conrad
Member+
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Conrad   Email Mike Conrad   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different states have different rules. Here in Ohio we can use a 5" trap. I have used both 4 1/2 and 5's, it is my experience that the 5" have less refusals with more 20-24 lbs coons to their credit. (24lb is the largest I have caught so far) As far as any activity around the trap site, I set these quite a bit on sand bars and almost never see a sign of ANY struggle.
Posts: 194 | From: Sheffield, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newt
Member # 61

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newt   Email Newt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cant use any trap bigger than a 160. When Beaver and otter are not in season,here in NJ.
I have fewer sprung empty traps with the 160,than the 120.
SO- in" NEWTS WORLD" I like the 120 over the 160 for coon boxs.

Posts: 507 | From: Port Republic,South Jersey & Chocowinity NC | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FLSH ETR
Member+
Member # 2351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FLSH ETR   Email FLSH ETR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you're in favor of sprung, empty traps?? [Eek!] Frank. [Cool]
Posts: 643 | From: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Newt
Member # 61

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Newt   Email Newt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt say that. Did I ?
I'll try again. The 120 works better for me.

Posts: 507 | From: Port Republic,South Jersey & Chocowinity NC | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
Newt said: "I have fewer sprung empty traps with the 160, than the 120."

Newt said; "I like the 120 over the 160"

So even I am curious to know why you like a trap that yields more sprung empty traps.

[Confused] -- Hal

Posts: 8969 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home