Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Land Animals & Trapping Archives » Propylene Glycol, Glycerine Mixtures -- Freezing Points

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Propylene Glycol, Glycerine Mixtures -- Freezing Points
Thumb Catcher
Member # 3242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thumb Catcher         Edit/Delete Post 
What advantages does it make to mix these for anti freeze vrs one or the other straight?

They cost the same within $1.00 a gallon so I am curious as to why they are sometimes mixed?

[ 01-02-2008, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Archive ]

Posts: 104 | From: N. Kentucky | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.

Hal

Posts: 8969 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BillG
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BillG   Email BillG       Edit/Delete Post 
Propylene Glycol is often used in lure tincturing although I prefer vodka. And then Glycerine may be added to slow down evaporation. This is in lure making.

As far a strickly an antifreeze, you got me. Why would they?

Posts: 45 | From: NY | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thumb Catcher
Member # 3242

I didn't ask this question to be a smart rear end? I am serious if anyone can give me an answer.

The other part of my question relating to this as I have 2 gallons that was given to me that is a 50/50 Mix. When opening the cap I can smell an odor, almost like a slight alcohol odor. This was received from a trapping dealer that went out of business probably 10 plus years ago. I have been hesitant to use it. Should I desgard/ can it, or perhaps as suggested use it as an anti freeze in my coon bait? Can these products go bad? The caps were sealed with tape, so no chance of contamination I wouldn't think.

Posts: 104 | From: N. Kentucky | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric   Email Ric       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats because PG is an alcohol.As for the 50/50 mix I don't know either.Never made scence to me though.I've be useing it with out cutting with water.I like it.Salt is more effective at lower temperatures.PG is not as attactive too deer as salt and not corrosive.When it gets cold enough for the PG not to work I can switch back to dry dirt
Posts: 3441 | From: Wellington,OH=USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
They cost the same within $1.00 a gallon so I am curious as to why they are sometimes mixed?

Just exactly what are you taking about here? The above statement lead me to conclude that you intend to mix propylene glycol and glycerin together. I've never heard of anyone doing that, and that is my basis for wondering why it would be done.

If you are talking about mixing either one of theses with water to make an antifreeze spray that's different.

I know nothing at all about using glycerin for an antifreeze. Here is a chart for PG.

-

A 50/50 mixture is good to -34 F. That means it won't freeze in your spray bottle until -34 F. But, when you spray this stuff on the ground, in dissipates and ground moisture further dilutes your mix, and dilutes your antifreeze protection.

I suppose the best thing to do would be to use pure PG and let it mix with the ground moisture. Personally, I go with the 50/50 mix. That stretches the Glycol, and seems to be goon down into the 25-20 degree range. If it gets below that, I'm switching to chloride.

[Smile] -- Hal

[ 01-02-2008, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Archive ]

Posts: 8969 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thumb Catcher
Member # 3242

Thank you Hal and Ric, This does help me with my confusion. I printed your chart off Hal for future reference. the two I have is marked 50/50 with the two ingredients, so thats why I thought that perhaps others mixed the two to make some better anti freeze solution. Obviously that isn't the case and I am not going to try and guess why the trapping dealer had these. Your site for learning is very much appreciated.
BillG
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BillG   Email BillG       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Ric and Hal with this one. I don't know of any reason to mix Glycol and Glycerin. I would also wonder what else might be be mixed with it.

Personally I would not take a chance on losing catches just to save a few dollars especially with the cost of gas to run a line these days.

Posts: 45 | From: NY | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J Severing
Member+
Member # 298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J Severing   Email J Severing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
never used either one straight for antifreeze, usally mix two parts spring water to one part glycol or glycerine.... thicken her up as the weather progresses to 50/50 about mid december or so on....

one advantage of mixing it is being able to spray it out of a spray bottle....which even at those mixtures ... if you dont have a heavey duty pump and nozzel on your spray bottle can become a hassel in the field appling it....jim

Posts: 234 | From: Livingston Manor N.Y. 12758 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rookeman1999
Initiate Member
Member # 2901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rookeman1999   Email rookeman1999   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is another use for a 50/50 mixture of propylene glycol and glycerine in the making of baits and gland lures. I purchased a jar of "stop it" from Blackies Blend which is a preservative for glands or bait. For a wet mixture the directions suggest mixing this product with a 50/50 mixture of proplene glycol and glycerine and what ever bait or glands you want to preserve.
Posts: 23 | From: louisiana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home