Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Water Animals & Trapping Archives » beaver den locating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: beaver den locating
catchin cats
Member # 3969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catchin cats         Edit/Delete Post 
i need some tips on locating den entrances, i am using conibears and have caught a handful of beavers around den entrances but i am having trouble locating more. I am trapping a new area there is five dams total in the new area, lots of sign, any ideas or tips?I would really appreciate it.
Posts: 47 | From: Missouri | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buzzard..
Member # 1240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzard..   Email Buzzard..   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has always been my beleif that trappin den entrances is a no-no.

I was taught that way and have followed it in my career , you would be better off learning to trap beaver w/ out this technique as it saves you from spooked beaver.

Posts: 858 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catchin cats
Member # 3969

what are some of your favorite sets to use?
Posts: 47 | From: Missouri | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catchin cats
Member # 3969

and also i understand not spooking beaver, is it unethical to trap by these locations? I guess i would like to know how to locate them to not set too close to den entrances. I want to trap ethically and do it right.
Buzzard..
Member # 1240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzard..   Email Buzzard..   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ethics have nuthin to do w/ it....aint a thing wrong w/ it to me but the spookin of my quarry.

I should have a bunch of beaver snare pics in the water archives here.......check them out.

Remember, a 330 or 280 can be utilized just about everywhere a snare is used.

Posts: 858 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catchin cats
Member # 3969

thanks buzzard, this is all very new to me and i appreciate the guidance, by the ay good luck on the coat
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
Before we leave you with the wrong impression... Keith has neglected to inform you that he is a professional beaver trapper. He specializes in removing nuisance beaver. This ordinarily requires the removal of all the beaver in the colony. When I am working on nuisance beaver, I don't sets dens either. Spooky beaver are hard to catch and it increases the amount of time you have to spend in an area.

On the other side of the coin, if you are just trapping for fur, it is a good idea to leave a few critters behind for seed. So you could trap the den entrances if you want, and consider the one's you spook to be next year's seed, and walk away from them.

There is no ethical issue involved here.

As for finding those den entrances, sometimes they are way far from the shoreline, and way deep underwater, and sometimes you just can't find them. On the bottom line, there are easier and more effective ways of trapping beaver than relying on locating a den. That's another reason that professional don't rely den sets.

[Smile] -- Hal

Posts: 8969 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catchin cats
Member # 3969

thanks hal, i appreciate you clearing that up. I was afraid i had done something extremely unethical. I have done some reading and am considering some channel/slide sets as well as maybe a broken dam set. don't know what will work but am willing to give it a try and see what happens. Thanks again
Ldsoldier
Member+
Member # 3526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ldsoldier   Email Ldsoldier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
caught my first one on a broken dam set. Just don't make the same mistake I did. Set your trap at the crossover, NOT IN FRONT OF THE HOLE. I got fussed at by a friend when I told him I did this. Luckily the hole I made was in the crossover, and it didn't affect my catch. That mistake could've very easily resulted in a square shy beaver.
Posts: 915 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Forget about breaking the dam. The crossover set is, however, very effective.

[Smile] -- Hal

Posts: 8969 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
45/70
Member # 357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 45/70   Email 45/70   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My most vivid memory of locating a bank den was about 5 years ago. I was walking a bank, and stepped into one, the ground gave way, and I wound up waist deep in the hole.
Adios,
45/70,

Posts: 832 | From: South Georgia, usA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Yep, I've located a couple of dens that way myself.

[Smile] [Smile] -- Hal

catchin cats
Member # 3969

its funny that you all say that, i found one this way just this past weekend, can you explain the crossover set a bit better, is this a foothold on the dam to where beaver cross it or is it something else?
Hal
Member # 5

Where it is legal, you can set a foothold on the breast of the dam, and slide it off into the pool to drown the beaver. The other way to set this up is to go below the dam in the crossover trail and set a bodygrip.

[Smile] -- Hal

Hal
Member # 5

Here's a little hint about bank dens. Often the roofs cave in and you will see where the beaver patch them with sticks. Below is one that has just started to cave, and the beaver have put a few stick in the hole.

-

However, the entrance to this particular den is out yonder under about four or five feet of water.

-

[Smile] -- Hal

[ 12-13-2007, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

catchin cats
Member # 3969

thanks hal i saw one of these just last night on the creek, i set two 330's in crossovers on two dams and i set up on what i presume is a den. I found one of these fallouts and they had tried to patch it up, however there were two holes on into the caved in den, and another about 15 feet down the bank, i set up on the one down the bank presuming they made a new den, what would you say? Thanks for the pictures as well, very very helpful.
Far north mn trapper
Initiate Member
Member # 3690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Far north mn trapper   Email Far north mn trapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be care ful about setting bank den entrances if you have otters in the area. they will use these dens too.
Posts: 12 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otterwater0566
Member # 1846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Otterwater0566   Email Otterwater0566   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Otters use all beaver locations in my experience. Bank dens are usually near castor mounds along creek or shore line. Trap cross overs, c-mound sets, fresh cut trees and tops and pullouts and feeding areas. Although beavs can be trapped all year here, the reg's on coni's on land and large traps still apply. Snares and drowner slides w/large foothold, (only have to be "submereged") work if water at above sets is shallow but can be slid into the deep holes. Sounds like your learning, remeber to secure your traps very well. Beaver eaters can easily break lite wire and some beavs will spin and break wire then wash away. Losing bridger 330 coni's will cut into bottom line quickly.
Posts: 440 | From: Austin, AR | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home