Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Water Animals & Trapping Archives » best way to catch mink

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: best way to catch mink
trapperkid135
Initiate Member
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trapperkid135   Email trapperkid135   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is the best set to catch a mink that just wont go into my set i have a pocket set in a pool in the stream and the mink just wont go in it is there a better set or how can i improve the pocket set
Posts: 23 | From: ny | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jtrapper
Member # 378

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Jtrapper   Email Jtrapper       Edit/Delete Post 
Blind sets were always more effective for me than pocket sets on mink, just find a rock, log, tree, debris, etc. that the mink is having to get in the water to go around along the edge of it's travel way and place a trap up tight against the structure it's swimming around.

Keep the trap in shallow water though, a inch of water over the trap as mink have short legs.

Good luck.

Posts: 354 | From: Eldridge, Alabama | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redsnow
Member # 3203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redsnow   Email redsnow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This would be a good place for a picture. I'm not exactly sure how you've made the pocket set?, do you have you're trap inside the pocket? Don't expect a mink to actually "enter" the pocket. I like to set my trap even with one lip/edge of the hole, on the downstream side, if possible. The bait/lure should hold it there long enough to find the trap. [Smile]
Posts: 963 | From: WV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skipper
Member+
Member # 2628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skipper   Email skipper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much water is over the top of your pan? should not be more than 1". make sure your pocket is as deep as possiable . and like Redsnow said you don't have to put the trap in the hole I prefer the downstream side.
And for a change up I like a double pocket know more than two or three inches between holes make them deep as possiable shave the dirt between them. and bed your trap with the pan right between the holes good luck

Posts: 675 | From: .Manheim Pennslvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be the one to ask this but...

How do you know there is a mink avoiding your pocket set?

[question] -- Hal

Posts: 8948 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trapperkid135
Initiate Member
Member # 4304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trapperkid135   Email trapperkid135   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i saw the tracks about 10 yards from my trap but i mite just not have a strong smell i am using beaver flesh that i fleshed off my beaver thanks every one for your help
Posts: 23 | From: ny | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric   Email Ric       Edit/Delete Post 
10 yards may just as well be the next county when talking about mink.When I use Mink lure it is to keep them at the set for a few seconds longer not to call them to it.

You want mink traps right on there line of travel.

Go back out to where your set and the tracks are.Lay down with your head on the ground and look around.That is the minks point of view.If your set wasn't visiable from down there it was in the wrong location for that mink

Posts: 3439 | From: Wellington,OH=USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FOXCATCHER 1
Member # 1365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXCATCHER 1   Email FOXCATCHER 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the very same reason I use mostly blind sets for mink. Ric is right if your not on target then your a million miles away. Also the way I see it, if I have to be that close to the minks line of travel might as well save myself the work of digging a pocket and set a blind set. Also if you are targeting JUST mink blind sets will keep all those pesky coon from tearing up your perfect mink location you worked so hard to find. (finding the perfect blind set like J was talking about only comes along once in a blue moon on my line, most of the time i have to make them)
Posts: 74 | From: Vincennes IN | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home