Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Water Animals & Trapping Archives » 110 bodygrip muskrat sets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 110 bodygrip muskrat sets
babybull
Member # 4609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybull   Email babybull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a ton of dikes to trap in big marshes for rats. I have 100 #1 LS with drowner set ups for sign sets and mud slides, but I have a bunch of 110 coni's as well. From scouting I see some good runs for box traps and coni's but the majority are good #1 LS locations.

Has anyone ever tried making "mock" rat trails and setting them with 110's? Like a mudslide going up the bank into the shore where there is some grass and setting the 110 in the grass area to hide it? Id liek to set all my 110's which is over 100 and i know I dont have that many "natural" sites.

What kind of sets can I set on the bank with a 110? I have probably 5-10 MILES of dikes to trap with thousands of acres of marsh surrounding them.

[ 04-15-2009, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Archive ]

Posts: 97 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KSCATMAN
Member # 4423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KSCATMAN   Email KSCATMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make up some floats for you're longsprings.You can even make floats for you're 110s.
Posts: 75 | From: SE Kansas | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale F
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale F   Email Dale F   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always set my 110"s under water. Stakes can blend in with tall grass and weeds and you spend time looking for them or worse backtracking looking for one. Hard to pass them in the water. You say you have thousands of acres of marsh,you should be able to keep a hundred 110"s and your long springs busy all season. Dale
Posts: 447 | From: prophetstown, il | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybull
Member # 4609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybull   Email babybull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dale-

The problem is that I only have permission to trap the dikes...and not into the marsh themselves.

That is the reason for my question..otherwise Id be all set with runs and cabins!

Posts: 97 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost trapper
Member # 4408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lost trapper   Email Lost trapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the 80's I did make my own rat runs where I thought they should be with some success. They were much more productive if I put them in early so the local rat's could start using them. I also baited them. Something else we did was to role a big rock out just far enough to set a coni between it and land, or we'ld use a log [staked down so it wouldn't move] the logs where nice because if it was four feet long or so you could use 2 traps, and cut a bed on it for a foot hold. add a little lure to the rock or the log and it's on. hope this helps.
Lost

Posts: 136 | From: lower michigan | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjstrapping
Member+
Member # 2969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cjstrapping   Email cjstrapping   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In trapping large marshes along Lake Erie, I would wait until there was a bit of ice to use bodygrips. The bubbles will tell you exactly where to set those 110 size body grips. Right in front of the holes, under water. You will pick up many rats doing this, as well as a few mink.
Hit the dikes hard with your longsprings, making sign sets while you still have open water.
Also, use those 110's after freeze up, and guard holes above the water's surface....also great mink catchers.

Posts: 239 | From: NorthWest Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybull
Member # 4609

cjstrapping....

Thats my idea. I want to set the dikes up hard with longsprings....and pocket sets for mink/coon. I was just trying to utilize the conibears too, since i have so many.

Im gonna buy 2 dozen 1-1/3 coils for the pockets and will likely pick up alot of rats at those too. Ill need some dog proof traps for coons as well and will set a couple dozen of those. I will be laid of from work so Im thinking 100 #1 long springs setting muskrat sign, 2 dozen coils set in pockets, 2 dozen dog proof coon sets, and 4-5 coyote/fox sets should keep me busy!

Dale F
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale F   Email Dale F   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I trap over 90% of my muskrats with bodygrip traps size 110 and 220's. Personaly I feel creating locations for these style traps is a waste of time, if you have a decent population of rats there should be plenty of places to set these on sign. 100 longsprings and 100 110's you should be able to mop up the majority of the rats pretty quick, if you are going to have a layoff for awhile I would gather up as much area as possible to trap. Dale
Posts: 447 | From: prophetstown, il | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DARRELL
Initiate Member
Member # 3453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DARRELL   Email DARRELL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a thought! I once saw a video by Jonny Thorp were he put a 160 on land flat and put lure in the middle. He claimed this was a simple set that the trap would jump up at its prey when the trigger was moved.

What if a trapper made a shelf on a rat house. Make it so it was under water a inch and placed a 110 flat on top of said shelf?

I just seem to have a hard time finding runs or openings on the rat houses by me. The water is to deep and stained. It is a shame because I have about 2 doz 110's I dont use. I wish I would have not bought them and bought more 1.5's. I use all my 1.5's for pockets.

Do any of you guys use your hands to feel for the den opening?

Posts: 24 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybull
Member # 4609

Darrell-

Ive done a ton of marsh trapping in my life. Its been a while but its like riding a bike:D

#1-I have trapped many a marsh with well over 500 huts in them. First thing I was taught was trapping on the ice in huts. Walk around the huts when the ice is "fresh". I would mark as many bubble trails as I could the first day while the ice was clear and snow free. Then chop the ice, put your glove on, and take the plunge! Id then set a 110 or a #1 Long spring in the hole. If using a #1 LS I made sure to keep the chain tight so the rat couldnt climb out of the water a chew. This has acounted for thousands of muskrats for me. Ive also used box traps in some of the bigger runs and really cleaned the huts out. I made one box trap that was over 3 ft long for a huge run to a hut....I had 9 rats in it the first check! Ive caught quite a few mink with huts sets under ice as well!

#2- When no ice is present...the way I was taught is to NEVER walk in a run around a hut and try to trap it. I was taught they will leave the hut...and from my experience of trying to trap huts in open water, WITHOUT A BOAT....it is true. The catch rate was WAY down. What I do here is set sign around the huts...or even on the hut itself. You can simply set any place with droppings or chewed up roots with a nice shelf to set the trap on. Fresh mud, and a #1 LS will wack them.

Not sure if that answered your question, I got off on a tangent. Do you trap when Ice is present? I set a ton of 110's during freeze up. The huts are the best bet if its legal in your state. Bubbles = holes and runs. The key is to mark as many with tape or whatever works for you so you have lots of places to set when/if the ice gets murky or snowy.

Dale F
Member # 255

I don't think the muskrats left because you walked around, bet somebody beat you to them. I have had duck blinds where the rats built huts right along them, even piling the works right in front of the door. I would shovel this out every time we would go there ( always piled back up the next day ) you could hear them under the blind while hunting. All this time walking around the blind and huts. These never left. I would never lay a bodygrip flat on the ground, this was not the way they where meant to be used. Dale
haf2sell
Member # 4346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for haf2sell   Email haf2sell       Edit/Delete Post 
Darrell-

Have used my hands, and legs/feet for locating runs. Have also used a whippy sapling (no branches) to "sweep" for runs in deeper/murky water. Put the tip end in the water, holding at an angle, apply a little pressure, and when it comes from shallower water to the deeper run, you will feel the tension release. Then its a simple matter of "defining" the run to know where to set. Coupled with a long stake and wedge, or Lefler style stablizer, has worked well on the deep runs for me.

Early morning scouting may also reveal the runs from the "mud path" in the run from their activity.

Depending on your state regs. (disturbing a den), you might also use a section of 1/4" rod to probe vertically around a hut. You will feel the difference in the bottom where the runs are~ the solid mass of grasses etc. feels different than mass then water (entrance). Then it's just a matter of locating the main run as it enters open water.

Babybull-

Another option for your 110's may be the "Elbow Set". It's geared more towards mink (Rich Faler, or Jim Spencer has it in his mink book, and had caught 'rats with it). I think if you made the top hole look like a muskrat dive hole (and the set near/on bank sign) you will pick up some extra 'rats (and mink especially if baited with a muskrat leg). Labor intensive, so I only have used a few (setting for mink/coon). Both are good books IMHO (and if you want more details on the set).

Another option is to set multiple 110's in the runs/trails, spaced a few feet apart. Learned that trick from riding with another trapper. That day he was 4 for 5 at one stop in about a 15' stretch. Most areas I trap are only good for 2-3 sets per run, but it has increased catch/stop (location) ratio, and reduced time in a particular area. It's a water version of gang setting~ simple and effective!

Regards,

P.S.- I agree with Dale F on the competition. Lots of sign doesn't always mean lots of 'rats... just that they have been active.

Posts: 468 | From: SW Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DARRELL
Initiate Member
Member # 3453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DARRELL   Email DARRELL   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had half a mind to use my underwater camera to find the den opening. That may be too time consuming so the whippy stick sounds like its worth a try. Thank you. I could not grasp what you were trying to say about the elbow set. Were you talking about through the ice?
Posts: 24 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
haf2sell
Member # 4346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for haf2sell   Email haf2sell       Edit/Delete Post 
Darrell-

The Elbow Set is nothing more than a Pocket Set with a vertical hole at the back (bank) side.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 468 | From: SW Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IMB guide
Initiate Member
Member # 4637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IMB guide   Email IMB guide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a rather large marsh next to my house and it sounds a lot like your situation. i somtimes have a hard time finding decent sets for my 110's as well. a few years back i started using baited 110's about a foot or two from the bank. and all but the top of my stakes sticking out the water. carrots seem to be good around here and a little lure on top of the stake. when it freezes all i have to do is not lure the set. works really good for me. good luck!!
Posts: 13 | From: hobart,indiana | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home