Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Traps & Equipment Archives » EBAY USED TRAPS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EBAY USED TRAPS
mrcoon
Initiate Member
Member # 222

Icon 13 posted      Profile for mrcoon   Email mrcoon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am not that old, say drifting on 30. but i feel oldfashined. why? well i went to this place called EBAY, you probably know of it just being sarcastic, to look for deals on some "used" traps. my god people are selling traps like they are gold! these people want brand new price, for one trap, and then want you to pay the shipping which is half the cost of the peice of steel. i saw one ad of a guy selling 1 dzn duke 110 conibear traps, not unusual, but he want $ 40.00 for them and they sell else where for $33.00. i dont know how people can do this travisty. when i do get rid of some traps i practically give them away compared to these prices.
i feel that used is just that, "USED". how can our younger generations learn of trapping when it would take a years wages just to buy a couple traps? i feel the greed of our selfish, no good doing people now more than ever! i feel that this is on of the reasons our sport is being ruined, not just buy anti-trappers but greedy people who are killing the number of people trapping buy holding and selling traps for "the highest bidder"and its not just the highest bidder i guess, if they bid it up so be it but they are starting these things out at rediculous prices. they should be ashamed! i know i am, because i feel like a brother has cheated a good friend, and i just watch a sit happens. you poor souls may god have mercy on your selfish souls!

Posts: 15 | From: marshalltown, ia, usa | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
Member # 220

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the great thing about watching, you don't have to pay to do it.
Posts: 41 | From: Magna,Utah,USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
Mrcoon: I've never bought anything on Ebay and probably never will, but I've seen the same phenomena at farm auctions where old, used traps brought more than the price of new ones. It comes from people not knowing what they're selling and/or people not knowing what they're buying. The good thing about this is that you or no one else has to purchase these traps at that price. Since there are any number of places to buy traps, I can't see how Ebay could possibly be the downfall of trapping.
There is a system under which people are required to buy certain items from certain places, with prices firmly controlled by the government. It's called communism, and we don't practice it here in this country. The Russians tried it for about 75 years before they gave up on it about ten years ago.
As for taking "a year's wages just to buy a couple traps", I think you might be working too cheap. By my calculation, a beginning trapper could purchase a couple of traps for about the same price as they could purchase one music CD. This is roughly equivalent to when I was a kid and a couple of traps could be purchased for the price of a vinyl record (if any of you remember what those were). I must be about twice your age, and I really don't see where it is anymore financially difficult for a kid to get started trapping today than it has been in the past.
-- Hal

Posts: 8915 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trapper62
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trapper62   Email Trapper62   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MRCOON, I have bought through Ebay, but it has been only collectors traps and yes I agree that most people are crazy for what they pay for traps on ebay! Actually I have sold more than I have bought, mainly selling USFW Service duck and goose bands. I actually got $170.00 for a next collar and leg band from a coot, figure that one out?
Posts: 287 | From: Dunseith, ND, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NYTrapper
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYTrapper   Email NYTrapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's free enterprise in full effect.
Posts: 94 | From: Lowman NY USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
Member # 220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can sell it on e-bay for fifty dollars and people are fighting over it with no charge, and you have to pay to sell it in the paper and no one calls, well its a no brainer
Posts: 41 | From: Magna,Utah,USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRAPPERBOB
Member # 232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAPPERBOB   Email TRAPPERBOB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do'nt say that ebay is the best place but I did buy a dozen 11/2 victors brand new not even dyed yet for $50.00 and thats a whole lot cheaper than the $80.00 and up that they cost other wise. Thats not to say that there's not a lot of people that think they own a peace of gold but some times you can find a deal worth considering. Just be carefull because the cost and shipping may make that deal not such a deal. But you can contact the seller and find those things out ahead of time.
Posts: 89 | From: Lincoln/Nebraska/USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
higgy
Initiate Member
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for higgy   Email higgy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many Ebay sellers quote Priority shipping charges because buyers want the package yesterday. I always give my buyers the choice of Priority, parcel post, and Special 4th class standard. That way they can control how much they spend for shipping. There is no reason why you have to accept the most expensive shipping option.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d holmes
Member # 212

Icon 8 posted      Profile for d holmes   Email d holmes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with the prices of used traps being what you all are saying and the price of new traps being as we all know, it is easy to see why in some areas the business of trap stealing is as big as that of trapping. it is sad that in one evening a person can loose a years investment to these low life !!!'s. we as honest trappers should pass up deals if we feel there is any possibilty that the traps are stolen.
Posts: 38 | From: Cutler,Ohio,USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric   Email Ric       Edit/Delete Post 
No use getting upset about it. There are no laws in the U.S. saying that the uninformed can not pay more than an item is worth if they want to,and I hope there never are.Want to bet that those paying those prices don't receive a state trapping assoc. publication or the T&PC ?
Posts: 3432 | From: Wellington,OH=USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Hatton
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to differ Hal. It is harder for the younger trappers to get into trapping and justify it. Remember when rats sold for $8 and a dozen (new) 1.5 coilsprings sold for $29 at that same time??? Now you're lucky to get an average of 2.70 for rats and the same traps will cost you $90! And what about the gas prices now??? I used to pretty much make a 6 month living from my trapping season. Now I'm lucky to get through a month of trapping. Gotta compare apples with apples.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
I think comparing apples to apples depends largely on how many apples you've compared.

Do you remember when rats were 65 cents and Victor #110's (which were brand new at the time) cost $12.00 a dozen. I do. That's the era I came in on.

If you're going to compare everything to hay-days of the late 70's and early 80's that is not comparing apples to apples. Yeah, there were more trappers those days than you could shake a stick at. And when the prices went down, most of them went away. Half of them weren't trappers anyway, they were simply in it for the money. I'll tell any youngster who wants to get started trapping -- if money is your primary concern, go to McDonalds and get a job. Trapping is a lot more than making money, and it is hard work for what you do earn.

If you really want to do the comparison, 65 cent rats and $12 traps equals 18.5 rats per dozen traps. Now let's use your $2.70 rats and let's purchase a dozen Victor #110's for the youngster to start with. With the availability of price of #110's today, this would be a much better choice for the beginner than the coilsprings you mentioned. These traps will run about $56 per dozen, and there are less expensive brands available that would work just fine for muskrats. But even so, $2.70 rats and $56 traps equals 20.6 rats per dozen traps. I can equip the same trapper with a dozen #110 Dukes at $35 per dozen, which would be just fine for rats, and the ratio falls to 13 rats per dozen traps. In effect, it is hardly any more expensive for a youngster to start trapping today, and maybe even less so, than when I started trapping.

-- Hal

Posts: 8915 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Hatton
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hal,
If I was using extremes, I'd use the example of the 1980 FFG that's in front of me now. Muskrat: N.Y. and new England $10.00-$11.50, Ohio-Pa $9.50, with your 110's going for 28.00 per dozen. Lets see, that's under 3 rats for a dozen traps. Both you and I can use certain years to make our points but the fact remains that at todays fur prices and the cost of traps, it's pretty tough for a kid to get interested. And yes, I am a money trapper, but that doesn't mean you enjoy it any more than I do. Just means you do better with your trapping supply business and the money you make on your articles in T&PC. You're in it for a living too Hal. Mine just comes from the fur I sell.

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited 01-05-2001).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BillWI
Member # 245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BillWI   Email BillWI   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just tried out EBAY and picked up a dz. #1 victor SL for a pretty good price and when I received the traps they still had good steal so I guess I couldn't argue. With the price of stoploss traps being what they are I thought I got a good deal. The only exception being duke for price . I've found though that a good estate auction can be a steal with the price of hides and lack of intrest in traps. Like my dad always said "traps pay for themselves eventually and if they sit in the basement for a year you aren't loosing money." One thing that does scare me about Ebay is you can't check the condition of the trap like at an auction.
Posts: 339 | From: Bonduel,WI,US | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trapper62
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trapper62   Email Trapper62   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BillWI, Your right about the conditions and such, you have to take them for their word! ALWAYS, ALWAYS check the sellers history (feedback)on ebay, to do this click on the number in parenthesis next to their name. This will show what others who have bought from the individual think of them, their service and credibility! If a seller has negative feedback I usually don't bid!
Posts: 287 | From: Dunseith, ND, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talachulitna Jim
Member+
Member # 206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talachulitna Jim   Email Talachulitna Jim   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, you and I exchanged some recent emails, and you seem to be a reasonable guy. But I just don't get your tone here. Certainly, it should be possible for reasonable adults to disagree over the relative economics of traps/fur prices without getting angry.

My own view is that, although in the mid- to late-'70s I trapped primarily for the income, today's fur prices won't justify that rationale, for me at least. I see it as a challenging winter outdoor sport, today, with fur prices at best partially defraying expenses. As for traps selling for outrageous prices on e-bay, well, it's a free country, and there's a sucker born every minute.

Jim

Posts: 285 | From: Anchorage, AK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home