More Trap Line Departments:
Rewind  On Track  Scrapbook  Trapper Edu.  State Regs.  Lynx  Feedback  Trap Line Home

Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases through our Supply Line Store help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Traps & Equipment Archives » Trap pan covers vs. Trap Bedders vs. Trap Cap

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trap pan covers vs. Trap Bedders vs. Trap Cap
mrfox
Member # 449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrfox   Email mrfox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering which of these you guys prefer and why? Pan covers, trap bedders, trappers cap? If pan covers what type?

I have used wax paper for panocvers in the past when I needed them. I have also used the occasional flat leaf nearby to bed a trap. But I am not against a good tool that will work better?

The trappers cap seems like a great idea if you have all victor traps for canine trapping? I am one of those trappers that has a mixed bag of canine traps. I have all the brands but am reluctant to buy a device that only works on one brand. Has anybody tried to make their own? I was wondering about an aluminum pop can or something similar and cutting it to fit. Any Ideas or suggestions?

The commercial trap bedders seem like a more universal bedder, but I have never tried them?

Posts: 61 | From: Danville, Indiana | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodchuck
Member # 936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woodchuck   Email Woodchuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For pan covers I always used fiberglass screening pre cut and in a container with some fox urine sprayed in. Seemed to work real good. Then I started using a homemade "cap" and seem to like it better. I made mine out of an old Bel Ray oil container. I would think you could find a shampoe bottle or something the pan diameter made out of plastic and just cut the top off and notch it for the springs and dog. No cost and works good. Now I haven't tried it on the square pans so you'd probrably have to look for something else on those or use the pan cover.
Posts: 44 | From: Erie, PA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just a rookie
Member # 916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just a rookie         Edit/Delete Post 
mrfox,

If you night latch so the pan only needs to drop maybe 1/16" and your pan tension is enough that you won't get pinched while packing the jaws then you don't need to use anything in the right weather. Hals video showed me this. I tried it last year and it worked great and there is no soft spot around the inside of the jaws as there is sometimes with fiberglass covers.

The trappers cap seems like the next best thing but you are right about the limitations to specific traps.

I also use fiberglass pan covers if I choose to use them at all.

Hope I was some help, Good trapping, Rookie

Posts: 47 | From: Norwich N.Y. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keith Daniels
Member # 438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keith Daniels   Email Keith Daniels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally use nothing, and haven't for years, even in sand. Like rookie said, a short crisp notch takes care of it.

Keith

Posts: 261 | From: Arlington Oh. | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trappnman
unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I like the trappers cap with smaller traps like 1.5 and 1.75, and that works good 99% of the time. The exception is in heavy rain conditions which cause "freshen ups". Smaller traps can be put out of commission pretty easily with liquid mud that then firms up. If I ever have to trap in an area that has typical rainy falls, I think I would go to a screen on all traps. Luckily, my area has dry falls, and a trappers cap does a fine job......trappnman web page
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Beav
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beav         Edit/Delete Post 
While a hair trigger will allow you to go with out pan covers or underalls,I like a screen pan cover since It gives you a very large kill area and will catch you a few more animals that you may have missed before.

The Beav

Posts: 509 | From: Oregon WI | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Beav
Member # 55

Do you remember all those tracked patterns where that fox or cat missed the pan by that 1/2" or 1/4"? He would have been caught If you would have had a screen pan cover.

The Beav

Posts: 509 | From: Oregon WI | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UNKNOWNTRAPPER
Initiate Member
Member # 943

Icon 14 posted      Profile for UNKNOWNTRAPPER   Email UNKNOWNTRAPPER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
black aluminum wire screen. fiberglass screens are to forgiving for me. i like the stiffer aluminum screen
Posts: 5 | From: IOWA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scrapper
Member # 616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scrapper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has any of you guys tried using buckwheat hulls just under the pan? I read about this somewhere, can't remember where. It's supposed to keep the dirt from going under the pan and allows the trap to still fire correctly.
Scrapper

Posts: 55 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve
Member # 131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve   Email Steve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the best method is a wadded up soft leaf or foxtail weed under the pan. These items are natural, no forgien odors and free. Under works better than over...at least for me it does.

I personally had lousy luck with the pre-cut pan covers made of mesh...had many traps dug up. You do not want any attention diverted from the attractor to the trap bed. I would think that keeping your pan covers in a container with urine would simply contaminate the set.

The number one thing to remember is that successful canine trapping is all in the bedding of the trap...the finest tuned, best covered trap is only as good as it's stability.

Steve

Posts: 245 | From: Milton, Indiana | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Beav
Member # 55

CLEAN steel screen has no more odor then a clean trap.If you don't form the screen to the trap you will have bludge and under that buldge you will have a open area that when a animal steps on the screen it will move under it's foot and thus cause digging.If the screen is fitted properly you won't have this problem.They work for me.

The Beav

Steve
Member # 131

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Steve   Email Steve   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ones I was trying were not steel, but some type of plastic...which likely had an odor all it's own. If it works for you great! I like to keep it natural.

Steve

Posts: 245 | From: Milton, Indiana | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
<Seldom>
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I used homemade 3/8” thick “open-cell” foam under pads with #1-1/2 & #2 dog-less Montgomery’s. I boiled them right with my traps, squeezed the dye out and let them dry. Once a set connected, that particular pad was sweetened nicely and used again and again. If I didn’t find it right at the set after removing the fox, I’d spend the extra time to find it for reuse regardless if I had a dozen fresh ones at hand in the basket!

We commonly have rainy weather in mid-November and the pads held water but it certainly didn’t impede the sets performance. In fact I always looked forward to the rain because many times my better catches (numbers) would be during those rainy nights.

If I were to do it over again, I wouldn’t hesitate or consider using anything but those pads. All things being equal and regardless of which method you choose, confidence will always be the deciding factor!

<musher>
unregistered

Seldom: Are you saying that you used the same pad under the pan? If so, do you think the fox are digging to get to the pad or are they focused on the dirthole/remake?
I hear you about confidence. There's nothing like trying to fix something that isn't broke.

JohnR
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnR   Email JohnR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to scratch Hals' back here, but after reading cannines 2000 and some other material, with the proper night latch and proper tension you do not need pan covers or the sort, for coons and others a large leaf will do the trick, sorry, but use what is nature gives you, the more we add, the more we STINK! They know what we are, we have to convice them differently, learning to keep your digits off the pan does'nt take long, just once or twice.
good luck, yotebuster30

Posts: 201 | From: N.E.Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
<Seldom>
unregistered

Hi Musher,
Yes, I used and reused the same pad as often as possible. I can honestly say that I never had a “digger” (at least leave the set) after my first year when I switched from wax paper to my pads! As each set gets better after each catch so I believe the principle goes for the pads as part of a “used” set. I only replaced the trap if I thought I could see blood on it (which was seldom), otherwise I reset it as well.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home