Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Traps & Equipment Archives » Pogostick anchors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pogostick anchors
COYOTE556
Member # 659

Icon 5 posted      Profile for COYOTE556   Email COYOTE556   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone has used the pogostick anchor system, with the washers and the driver? what are the results, i saw the system at the nta convention and it looks interesting, however i wonder about the durability of the driver. if anyone is using this system, what size washers are you using in what type of soil? thanks for the help

[ 12-22-2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Archive ]

Posts: 35 | From: MO | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drifter1
Member # 935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drifter1   Email Drifter1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been useing them now for at least 4 seasons with great results . The drivers are durable if use a little sense with them . Don't try to pound them into rocks the tips will split . I vary the length of cable according to the ground conditions . Usually on land traps a 1 1/2 in washer works well for me . In the soupy mud I like a 2in washer and sometimes have to drive it in deep . To do this I added a long piece of 1/2 in cold rolled to a weld on tip he makes . Just make yourself some cables up of different lengths and give it a trial run . If you can pull it out easy by hand so can a yote . A pick works wonders to pull them . All my traps are equiped with universal swivels . This way they are ready for drowning rigs or attached to Pogo anchors with a rivet .

Drifter

Posts: 47 | From: Stroghurst,IL | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
45/70
Member # 357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 45/70   Email 45/70   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'556,
I have begun using them. I make up my own cable stakes. I am liking the system.
The information you have received is generally correct, and I can only add a couple of things.
a) if your trapping a lot of wet ground, go ahead an ask Pogo to make you a longer driver. He custom make mine at no extra cost.
b) do not drive the driver into the ground unless it is loaded with a stake. The washer and rivet hold the tip together, and keep the driver from splitting.
c) if you are in very hard and/or rocky ground, pre/drive your hole with a piece of cold roll.
d) a couple of years back there was a good article in FFG re: making a cable stake puller. I made one up, and it works great. If I can find the issue, I'll post the issue and page number here.
Adios,
45/70.
RKBA !!!

Posts: 832 | From: South Georgia, usA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
COYOTE556
Member # 659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for COYOTE556   Email COYOTE556   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you could post or tell me about the cable stake puller i would greatly appreciate it. thanks
Posts: 35 | From: MO | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coonboy3
Initiate Member
Member # 59

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coonboy3   Email coonboy3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
556, To make a puller, take an handle of an pick ax. Take about a 3/8 bolt or so and drill your hole and put that in toward the top of the handle. When you want to pull the anchor wrap the cable that is above ground around the handle on to itself. All you do then is just hold onto the bolt and lift. Works like a charm. I have been using this for several seasons and they work great.Coonboy
Posts: 23 | From: Dubuque, Iowa, United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused. What is the bolt for? Why do you hold the bolt? And... do you really have enough cable sticking above the ground to loop once around a pick handle? Finally, doesn't looping the cable back on itself and pulling that way put a terrible pigtail in the cable? I tried something similar to this once and ended up with a bunch of curly-cue stakes that were a pain to deal with, and reuse.

[Smile] -- Hal

Posts: 8955 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Free
Member # 345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Free   Email Mike Free   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hal,
The bolt is to keep the handle from turning in your hans as you pull. I myself dont like pogos puller, too much brute strength required. Yers it does kinda curly q the cable. I have went to using the stake pullers with the foot and long steel handle with a chain hook on it. Takes way less back work, Although bulkier, most guys are in a vehicle of some sort. I also won't hesitate to cut one off providing it will not tangle with farm machinery. I am out 25 cents for the whole anchor if I snip it. Drifter mentioned a pick ax, I tried this, busted it on the first anchor, I wasn't to keen on the pick ax after I dusted myself off.
My 2 cents and more
Freebird

Posts: 203 | From: Polk City,Iowa, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coonboy3
Initiate Member
Member # 59

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coonboy3   Email coonboy3   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hal, The part about not having enough cable about ground, I usually wrap the chain first and pull it up as far as I can, then re-wrap it. Like freebird said, use whatever works for you.Coonboy
Posts: 23 | From: Dubuque, Iowa, United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JD_Renegade92O
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JD_Renegade92O   Email JD_Renegade92O   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey i was curious on what the heck u all r talkin about?? they sound interesting and usefull but how do u make them? how do they wrk? and how do u pulll them? thanks if u can help.
Nick

Posts: 105 | From: Upstate New York | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WACKYQUACKER
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WACKYQUACKER   Email WACKYQUACKER   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Pogo demonstrating the pulling at the NTA. Seems to me that he had a bunch more cable out of the groung than I would want. I didn't examine the cable for curl but man the washer was a far cry from flat.

Pogo has a web site with PICS. I have lost the address sorry! Maybe someone else could post the link for you.

Posts: 678 | From: CORRALES, NM | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Beav
Member # 55

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Beav         Edit/Delete Post 
This Is how I pull my cable stakes.
I have a 5' foot piece of square tubing I weld a flat piece of steel on one end so when I'm pulling the stake It won't sink Into the ground.
When pulling the stake I just lay the tubing flat to the ground and make one wrap around the tubing with the trap chain.I then just hold the trap in one hand and pull up on the tubing. If you didn't get It on the first pull just lower the tubing and take up the slack In the chain and pull again. If It dosen't come you will most likely have to dig It out. I use to use my tile spade to lever out the stakes, It never broke but I didn't allway's have It with me.So I made the puller.

The Beav

Posts: 509 | From: Oregon WI | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BillWI
Member # 245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BillWI   Email BillWI   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made up some off the pogostick anchors thanks to 45/70 who gave me some real good info. and used a 1/2in. rod and a grinder to notch out for the rivet. Tested them out around the house and they work just as well as the Berkshire cable stakes in my opinion. I was using 1 1'2 fender washers.
To pull cable stakes I use the same thing as Beav except about three quarters of the way down the tube I weld a cut off log chain link unto the tube and grind it down to fit into the links of the trap chain and pull the stakes that way. When the ground is frozen I take the tire jack from my truck and just put it under the puller and crank it up. I have an old ratchet type car jack that really does a good job, but the one for my truck works in a pinch.
Bill

Posts: 339 | From: Bonduel,WI,US | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home