Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Traps & Equipment Archives » Stop loss/guard traps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stop loss/guard traps
tbair
Initiate Member
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tbair   Email tbair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for good ways to trap and hold 'rats in shallow water - have experienced quite a few losses since the water is low this year. Have heard about stop loss/guard traps - are these worthwhile? If so, what are some good traps? Thanks.
Posts: 21 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bogmaster
Member # 58

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bogmaster   Email Bogmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stoploss traps pay for themselves.
The inly foothold trap I use for Muskrats are stop loss,I have a few hundred of them,and have used them for years.
They hold fur in shallow water conditions and in the heavy vegetation that is ofter present in rat trapping.
2 companies now make stoploss traps -Bridger and Duke.I worked with the Duke company, on the re-design of their new stoploss.
I have used both of these traps,and just about every brand that was ever made.
I am partial to Duke(for obvious reasons)but have also taken a ton of rats in the Bridgers.
Dukes are fashioned after the old Blake and Lamb style--Briger--the old victors.Duke is stronger springed than the Bridgers--but both work just fine.
Tom Olson

Posts: 239 | From: Lakeland,Mn. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bblwi
Member # 60

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bblwi   Email bblwi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will second Tom's words as to the stoploss trap.
I unlike Tom however have several dozen of the #1 stoploss round pan Victors. I have gotten used to the "warts" they bring but they really have allowed me to have many more set location options with very low wring offs and losses. I also have 4 dozen of the 1.5 B&L stoploss, more cumbersome, with some issues but on the bigger feed beds or houses they were really great with that larger kill area. The #1s hold coons very well and the 1.5s are not good coon traps even with the guards.
I was not as good as Tom but this year out of 252 rats in stoplosses I had 1 wring out from a front foot caught right at the joint of a very small rat from the size of the foot. Still a loss but very limited.
Need to buy some Dukes and do the camparisons.

Bryce

Posts: 288 | From: Kiel, WI | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
southerntrapper
Member # 3295

Icon 10 posted      Profile for southerntrapper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
110 mags no wring outs. [Big Grin]
Posts: 26 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bblwi
Member # 60

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bblwi   Email bblwi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the 110 would have few wring offs but the number of set locations in a large flat water sedge, cattail and bull rush flowage or marsh that would lend itself to good 110 set sites is more limited than I choose to deal with.

Bryce

Posts: 288 | From: Kiel, WI | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale F
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale F   Email Dale F   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of shallow water you trapping tbair?
Posts: 450 | From: prophetstown, il | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bogmaster
Member # 58

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bogmaster   Email Bogmaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
110s are one of my least favorite traps.I trap a lot of rat houses,many are set with 4 stoploss in open water.When the mud is up to 3 1/2 feet deep runs out of the houses would be hard to find,to set a 110.Also by using stoploss,I catch a lot of mink,coon and beaver in my rat sets--that isn't going to happen with 110s.I am now trapping rats in the houses---winter has arrived,you would be real hard pressed to be able to set a 110 in them.
Stoploss traps--almost everything I am looking for in a trap.
Tom Olson

Posts: 239 | From: Lakeland,Mn. | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale F
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale F   Email Dale F   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't trap in rat houses in Illinois. I don't think I have ever seen mud that deep even when trapping irrigation ditches that haven't been cleaned in years that have half the farm blown in them. Just the opposite here, I can go a whole season and maybe catch 2 dozen rats in footholds, majority are taken by 110's.
Posts: 450 | From: prophetstown, il | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bogmaster
Member # 58

Dale,Minnesota river valley is full of lots of spots with mud that deep.When a major river floods each spring,it deposits an awful lot of mud ,in thelakes and ponds near it.
I am 6 foot 3,when the mud is up or over my waist,it is at least 3 1/2 feet deep.
I have taken thousands of rats in stoploss traps,they are my trap of choice .They are a lot more versatile than a 110.I have held beaver up to 53 pounds in them,and many coon over 30 pounds.I doubt many could say that about a 110.
Tom Olson

Dale F
Member # 255

I didn't say they weren't, but when I am setting 110's they are for rats and only rats. I don't want beaver or coon when I set those, and mink will get in them now and then. We don't have mud that deep where I'm from and I find alot more versatile the 110 for this area, just a preference.
southerntrapper
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for southerntrapper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys easy, I wasnt trying to stir up a stink ,every trap has its proper use and areas to be used in,and lets not forget personal preference. I myself do not have any stoploss traps but it doesnt mean they arent an efficient and useful trap, right now 110s are serving me well for muskrat and mink "personal preference". Heck, maybe Im missing something someday I may add some to my line.

Tim [Smile]

Posts: 26 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home