Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Traps & Equipment Archives » Coilspring strength

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coilspring strength
Butch1987
Member # 4890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Butch1987   Email Butch1987   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a large difference in spring strength from a #1 3/4 and a #2 coil spring?
Posts: 42 | From: Deleware | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric   Email Ric       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to give a qualified No as the answer.If the manufacturer offers both sizes the springs will be similar.Between manufacturers you will see some difference.I don't know of anything currently available that have springs unsuitable for the trap size they are installed on.
I tested a bunch of different springs once.My findings were that there is not a great deal of difference between spring X and spring Y.Given the same wire diameter and # of coils.The perception of spring strength caused by the lever design can be significant.

Posts: 3438 | From: Wellington,OH=USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
haf2sell
Member # 4346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for haf2sell   Email haf2sell       Edit/Delete Post 
Ric-

Pardon the stray. Wouldn't some form of "pressure" test between the jaws be a better method of matching springs to a task (trap)? Curious more than anything. (And yes, the times I have replaced them, I used "stock" from the mfg. for the size needed.)

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 468 | From: SW Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

Actually I would rather know the psi(force) exerted by the jaw faces.This would take into consideration the actual design of the trap.I know what I need to do it but getting the time to build and calibrate it is a different matter
Posts: 3438 | From: Wellington,OH=USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
haf2sell
Member # 4346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for haf2sell   Email haf2sell       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ric. That's what I was thinking, but using different terms [Smile]

The other interesting aspect would be psi at different closure distances. I'm not a mathmetician so I'll leave that/these projects to another [Big Grin]

Posts: 468 | From: SW Michigan | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Butch1987
Member # 4890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Butch1987   Email Butch1987   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks that clears it up alot. I was just wondering if I were to put #2 springs on a 1 3/4 trap if would increase the speed of the jaws closing instead of four coiling but it seems that four coiling is the way to go.
Posts: 42 | From: Deleware | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gryhkl
Member # 4971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gryhkl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bridger 1 1/2 traps I bought last season seem to have much weeker springs than the 15+ years old montgomery 1 1/2 traps I've been using for years. I've held coon in these bridgers but I don't think they'd hold a coyote like the Montgomerys have.
Does anyone know if there would be much benifit in replacing these springs?

Posts: 37 | From: pa | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

Before you get carried away Butch.Check out the modification threads in the archives.Once you start down that modification path.There are often unexpected results.
Your traps will function just fine with 2 springs in 98% of situations.
The use of a spring made from music wire will often give you what you want and avoid all the problems you may encounter if you start changeing things too much.

GRYHKL..No,the traps are fine for the animals they are intended for

Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
"The bridger 1 1/2 traps I bought last season seem to have much weeker springs than the 15+ years old montgomery 1 1/2 traps I've been using for years."

As Ric said: "The perception of spring strength caused by the lever design can be significant."

Hal

Posts: 8937 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Butch1987
Member # 4890

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Butch1987   Email Butch1987   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the follow up
Otterwater0566
Member # 1846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Otterwater0566   Email Otterwater0566   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently this concerns you so just 4 coil them the modification is simple and easly changed "back" if you get too much power. The traps seem more balanced and easier for me to bed properly. I like 4 coils. I have had no weak bridgers. I use several Mont's and Northwoods because I have them and they do fine even w/stock 2 coils.
Posts: 440 | From: Austin, AR | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OutdoorsJake
Member # 4999

Icon 6 posted      Profile for OutdoorsJake   Email OutdoorsJake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I definately noticed the difference when I bought some Bridgers, Sleepy Creeks and Victors. All good traps but it did feel as though the Bridgers had a softer spring so I was wondering about this. I suppose Ric and Hal could have something there with regards to the lever design perhaps making it "seem" weaker but just handier to open up the trap. The levers do seem larger so I can see that being the case.
Posts: 27 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gage Drift
Member # 1456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gage Drift   Email Gage Drift   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Montana #3 about 2 years ago as a sample to look at. It seemed like a good trap so I bought more last Fall. I compared them yeaterday, and the one bought earlier seems weaker. I don't have a scale to measure the difference. None of these traps have been used yet. Does anyone know if they changed spring types?

How long a shelf life should I expect installed coilsprings to have?

Posts: 55 | From: Nevada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home