Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Traps & Equipment Archives » Size difference between a 1 3/4 and #2 coil spring foothold?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Size difference between a 1 3/4 and #2 coil spring foothold?
OutdoorsJake
Member # 4999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutdoorsJake   Email OutdoorsJake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about trap size as I see that Sleepy Creek doesn't make a #2 coilspring but the #1 3/4 that they make, seems to actually be the size of most #2 coilsprings. It measures 5 9/16" jaw spread if I recall correctly so that's just as much as a normal #2.

Why don't they call it a #2 or what makes them call it a #1 3/4? I've ust never owned any Sleepy Creek Coilsprings before so I am wondering how good they are or why it's called a 1 3/4 size. Any ideas?

[ 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Archive ]

Posts: 27 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric   Email Ric       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no standardization as to how a trap is measured or the relationship between that measurement and the size the trap is marketed as.
Posts: 3432 | From: Wellington,OH=USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OutdoorsJake
Member # 4999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutdoorsJake   Email OutdoorsJake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if that was the case when I saw Bridger made 1.65 coilsprings rather than a 1 3/4 size as well.
I guess a guy really has to pay attention to the trap measurements almost as much as what they call it for those in between sizes like a 1 3/4.

Posts: 27 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. If you look hard enough you can find #1-3/4 traps that are bigger than some #2 traps. There is an entirely different explanation for the #1.65 trap. That designation was made because when the previous owners of those trap designs sold the dies to the Bridger Company, they actually kept the #1-1/2 and the #1-3/4 traps for themselves. For a long time Bridger didn't have a #1-1/2 trap. And instead of a #1-3/4 they had a #1.65.

So much for trap "sizes", eh?

[Smile] -- Hal

Posts: 8915 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OutdoorsJake
Member # 4999

Icon 14 posted      Profile for OutdoorsJake   Email OutdoorsJake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding????? WOW, I guess I learn something new every day. Thanks Hal.

I'm shopping for a good coyote trap for this fall as I used to trap for Fox years ago along with river trapping but I am new to Coyote trapping.

My price range is in the Sleepy Creek, Bridger and Victor area so I'm comparing each of them for my new coyote sets. Any suggestions? (we have fox in the area too so I wouldn't mind trapping fox as well if I can)

Ric
Member # 31

All three produce a trap with a 5"-5.25" jaw spread,the so called 13/4.There are some differences but none that make much difference. All three will perform just fine as a combination fox/coyote trap.

If you are really trapping coyotes with an occasional R.Fox thrown in you may want to take a look at the #2 Bridger with it's 5.625" jaw spread.

When I note a jaw spread measurement it is inside the jaws paralell to the cross piece.

All will benifit from an additional swivel.And all will need to be tuned and looked over prior to setting

Posts: 3432 | From: Wellington,OH=USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OutdoorsJake
Member # 4999

Gotcha. I have considered the Bridger but I did note that they start going to the square jaw with the #2. I was wondering if it is any disadvantage or no difference when going to the square jaw?????

I was also strongly considering the Sleepy Creek since they measure just over 5 1/2 at 5 9/16 and heard that they put base plating on them stock but wasn't sure if the Bridgers come with base plating. I didn't think that Victors come with baseplating for coyotes.

Ric
Member # 31

Square jaw-Round jaw, a difference?Depends on who you ask,I have never been able to see any .

Forgot to mention that I also get any measurements I note with a tape measure not a keyboard.Take advertised measurements with a grain of salt.

(Edit..I checked,inside jaw spread of a std.jaw 13/4 Sleepy Creek is 5.125"..Ric)

[ 03-02-2009, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Ric ]

OutdoorsJake
Member # 4999

I have noticed some differences in advertizing in catalogs from the net so that makes sense also.

Ric, are the bridgers or Sleepy Creek Coils baseplated? Both look like good Coyote traps for the $. I just don't have anyone nearby who sells them so it's just a little harder to make up my mind which to order. Thanks.

Hal
Member # 5

Bridgers don't need to be baseplated.

Hal

Posts: 8915 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

The "baseplate" on a SC is a piece of sheet metal riveted to the frame that is used to fasten the chain to the trap.Bridger uses a link,resembling a rectangular chain link to attach the chain to the trap frame.I use them both,neither require any modification to the chain attachment position or method.Nor do they need the frame reinforced.
OutdoorsJake
Member # 4999

Icon 14 posted      Profile for OutdoorsJake   Email OutdoorsJake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good. What I might do is just pick up some of each to try them both out in comparison. Both seem like good heavy duty traps for the price range for Coyotes.
Thanks Ric.

mngreenhorn
Initiate Member
Member # 4970

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mngreenhorn   Email mngreenhorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a dozen bridger #2's with offset jaws and four-coiled to test. (I'm a winter trapper and wanted the 4 coil power) I have not had any fox get into my traps yet(the main reason I got the jaws offset) but I caught a coyote this past Saturday. We've had some pretty cruddy weather lately, so my trap was not bedded like is ideal, and had crusty snow on top. Even with that, the trap gripped above the entire hind foot and there was absolutely zero damage to the foot or leg. The coyote had been there awhile too judging by the sign. I use log drags on about a 2' chain which I believe also helps, but it's a back-breaker hauling logs around the forest in a sled with my other gear!!
Posts: 16 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OutdoorsJake
Member # 4999

I sure wish it was fall already so I could start setting coyote traps.

Bridger #2's seem like a pretty solid coyote trap.

Back when I first started trapping there most everyone used Victors for everything.

RHINO
Initiate Member
Member # 4978

Icon 7 posted      Profile for RHINO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I HAVE BOTH BRIDGER AND SLEEPY CREEK
AND I AGREE THAT BOTH WORK EQUALLY GREAT
FOR COYOTE.
THE ONE THING THAT PUTS SLEEPY CREEK AHEAD IN MY
MIND (ALL AMERICAN TRAPPER) IS THAT THEY
ARE MADE IN THE UNITED STATES.
WE GOT TO TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN!!
GOOD LUCK THIS FALL !

(Edit: Please don't type in all capital letters. I looks like YOU'RE SHOUTHING AT PEOPLE. Thanks. -- Hal)

[ 03-06-2009, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Posts: 4 | From: INDIANA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OutdoorsJake
Member # 4999

Icon 5 posted      Profile for OutdoorsJake   Email OutdoorsJake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did hear that the Sleepy Creek pan is double hinged which is good and stable.

Does that mean that you have to night latch the DOG rather than the pan????

Hal
Member # 5

Yes
Gage Drift
Member # 1456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gage Drift   Email Gage Drift   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Sleepy Creek long spring traps with double-posted (double hinged) pans. The pans have a window or notch in them so you can see how much of the dog end is under the pan, and adjust the pan travel as desired each time you set. You can still notch the dog if you want.

[ 03-22-2009, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Gage Drift ]

Posts: 55 | From: Nevada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OutdoorsJake
Member # 4999

I have some sleepy creek coilsprings as well and I was wondering if that notch was a "window" to see how much dog is left before firing. Kind of like a silent night latch as long as you can see it. Thanks for the confirmation.
grinnerskinner
Member # 4785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grinnerskinner   Email grinnerskinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 1.65 bridger is one of the best traps I own. Not to get in to a size debate, but it is a very good fox,coon trap two coiled and four coiled will hold coyote and bobcats and break though crust in snow but the jaw size is a little short sided in my opinon.

Ryan

Posts: 61 | From: kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

As mentioned earlier in this thread traps of this size are good compromise for fox and coyote. I can't comment on there suitability for Bobcat. For raccoon they are suitable only with a positive drowning system.

[ 04-07-2009, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Ric ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home