More Trap Line Departments:
Rewind  On Track  Scrapbook  Trapper Edu.  State Regs.  Lynx  Feedback  Trap Line Home

Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases through our Supply Line Store help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Fur Handling Archives » skinning coon tails

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: skinning coon tails
smice53
Initiate Member
Member # 1986

Icon 8 posted      Profile for smice53   Email smice53   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
seems like the last two seasons I have been having problems when I go to use a tail stripper on my coons. I get a good start from the rear and down the tail a few inches, then put my stripper over the tail and cinch it up good and pull. The tail bone comes out ok, but often, too often the last 2-3 inches of the tail fur, (the last black stripe) stays on the bone and I loose it cause it rips off the hide. Only solution I have been sucessful at using to keep this from happening is to skin the tail out from one end to the tip and not use the tail stripper tool.
Any ideas that might help me keep the tip of the tail and not have to take the time to skin out the entire tail section ?

[ 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Archive ]

Posts: 17 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ldsoldier
Member+
Member # 3526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ldsoldier   Email Ldsoldier       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem on foxes a couple of years ago. I started holding the stripper in one hand and pulling the tail through it with the other. That actually worked pretty well.

Also, make sure that you're skinning it down low enough that the fur doesn't bind against the stripper.

Posts: 913 | From: From Southeastern NC, currently at NCSU, Raleigh, NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PeaRidgeTrapper
Member # 4632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeaRidgeTrapper   Email PeaRidgeTrapper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree to make sure you strip the fur down low enough as well. I watched a guy have the same problem a couple of years ago, He was pulling outward instead of downward. When the hide was overstretched it had no choice to break off. Try pulling the tail out down the coons back if hanging it by the hind legs. Good luck.
Posts: 132 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
Pull the bone out of the skin. Don't try to pull the skin off the bone.

Hal

Posts: 8903 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home