Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   New Poll  
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » General Trapping Archives » gang sets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gang sets
illinoistimberghost33
Initiate Member
Member # 4262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for illinoistimberghost33   Email illinoistimberghost33       Edit/Delete Post 
can any one tell me what a gang set for coons is this my first year trapping i have been reading and i have not found anything on this subject
Posts: 23 | From: illinois | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tuff
Member # 2242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tuff   Email tuff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gang setting is simply using multiple traps in one area. They can be the same type of set, or different sets , or multiple traps at one set or whatever. The point is to have more than one trap set to catch more than one critter, or in case they don't like one set they have the others. Good Luck.
Tuff

[ 11-28-2007, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: tuff ]

Posts: 131 | From: Morrison, Illinois | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ric   Email Ric       Edit/Delete Post 
Beg to differ there Tuff.Mutiple traps at one set is not gang setting.Gang setting is haveing a number of sets at a good location.When one set is occupied because of a catch the others are still ready for the next customer
Posts: 3441 | From: Wellington,OH=USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illinoistimberghost33
Initiate Member
Member # 4262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for illinoistimberghost33   Email illinoistimberghost33       Edit/Delete Post 
so pretty much multiple sets in one good area i have that coons and mink thick thanks all i will be back for some more info we have caught 37 coons already since november 10 not bad for first year trapping i hope
Posts: 23 | From: illinois | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BillG
Member # 4152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BillG   Email BillG       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe there has ever been a websters dictionary definition of "gang setting" so really it a fairly opinionated thing.

In my opinion both tuff and ric are right depending on the situation.

I usually think of gang setting as when I may combine (let's look at coon) a couple of 220 bodygrips on trails or under log jams where coon are traveling and maybe a bucket 15 feet away partially covered by briaers and 1 1/2 coil spring next to a rock under a culvert and a pocket set. And this is all within a 50 foot circle. This is serious gang setting. And all but one of these produced. This is multiple sets in close quarters as ric described. (But it could be a couple, three traps.

The other option is you have a culvert where you have 2 good spots for coil springs and the a good trail to set a 220. Basically one set, but multiple traps.

Don't over do it but coon usually travel in pairs or groups, so these types of setups can catch multiple coon in one night.

Posts: 45 | From: NY | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

The idea behind gang setting is that when a catch is made in one set. There will be others at the location not disturbed by the captured animal and available for additional catches.If your setting traps in such a way that a trapped animal can be captured in mulitiple traps your not gang setting,your just setting multiple traps
Posts: 3441 | From: Wellington,OH=USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NEbowhunter
Member # 2559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEbowhunter   Email NEbowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ric.

when you dig a hole and put some bait in it and throw 3 traps around it, that is not gang setting. thats one set with 3 traps.

I consider what i do gang setting for coon cause i don't want to be walking over the bank a dozen different times in a mile to check one trap.

i go over the bank and throw in 3 or 4 pocket sets in the water, maybe a smear set on dry land and a 220 guarding a trail. thats gang setting. not defined in a dictionary, but pretty much accepted practice i believe. [Smile]

Posts: 574 | From: Holdrege, Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tuff
Member # 2242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tuff   Email tuff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
can any one tell me what a gang set for coons is
illinoistimberghost33, your question implies that your looking for a description of a specific set called the gang set. The answer to this question is there isn't a specific set. Your second post implies you now have the concept. If you have a good location you want more than one trap in that area.

As far as multiple traps at one set, well, I guess thats a matter of opinion isn't it. To me the purpose of gang setting isn't just making multiple sets to catch additional fur it's to improve the chances of a catch at all. I know this question was directed towards coon, and this idea can be applied to them as well, but take a digger fox or shy coyote for example. It is a common practice to bed an additional trap at the same set but further back. The idea being that this animal will be caught in the trap further back because he's learned of the first trap in front of the attractor or he's too shy to get close to that trap. In this instance making multiple sets will have no effect but an extra trap can do the trick. Most likly the first trap is no longer function but at least you have your catch. Same with useing 2 traps around a pvc pipe, maybe the coon approaches cautiously and detects one, the other is still functional.
Im not saying gang setting isn't making different sets because 95% of the time it is but isn't the concept to improve the chances of a catch, and then isn't multiple traps at one set just another form of gang setting?
-Tuff

Posts: 131 | From: Morrison, Illinois | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ric
Member # 31

The concept of gang setting has been stated a couple of times.You just don't care to acknowlege it.
Here's the deal,You call what you do whatever you want to.
Here gang sets will be multiple sets made in close proximinty.Where a captured animal in one will not affect the ability of another to make an additional catch.
You keep insisting that it is something else and you will be doing it somewhere else

Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
"then isn't multiple traps at one set just another form of gang setting?"

No.

Not all terms occur in a dictionary, as mentioned somewhere above. Sometimes there are terms that are specific to a certain trade or industry, that are not defined in a regular dictionary. In this instance, those who communicate in these fields are responsible for developing the lexicon for that industry. A few years back I worked on the Outdoor Writers of America -- Manual of Style. This included some terms used by outdoor writers that aren't used by the general public.

Here in the trapping industry, I and other communicators in this field bear some responsibility for bringing definition to some of these terms.

Part of the trouble stems from misunderstanding the usage. “Gang set” is a verb, not a noun. As in: “I will gang set this location”. There is no such thing as a gang set. If you want a term the refers to the collective sets it has to be in the plural form -- gang sets. The term “gang setting” may be a little more understandable.

Ric has done an admirable job of describing gang setting. Gang setting entails placing multiple sets in close proximity so that two or more animals may be captured at that location at one time. Placing multiple traps at one set does not fulfill this criteria and does not constructively help you to catch more than one animal at one location.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Hal

Posts: 8969 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tuff
Member # 2242

Hal, thanks for the clarification. I appreciate your comments, you do a great job of giving the whole story and background. I have been arguing with Ric thinking there was no formal definition and it was open for interpretation.

Ric, again I apologize I do acknowledge what you and others have said, I just thought gang setting had a broader range of purpose.
Sorry for confusing anyone. [Frown]

tuff

illinoistimberghost33
Initiate Member
Member # 4262

thanks yall

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home