More Trap Line Departments:
Rewind  On Track  Scrapbook  Trapper Edu.  State Regs.  Lynx  Feedback  Trap Line Home

Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Jump To:  Trap Line Boards Home  Trap Line Forum  Trap Line Help  Photo Gallery  Blog  Archives

The Trap Line Archives are brought to you by Sullivan's Scents and Supplies.
Your purchases through our Supply Line Store help make this possible. Thank you for your patronage. -- Hal Sullivan.

Trap Line Community Bulletin Board   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trap Line Community Bulletin Board » Trap Line Archives » Trap Care & Preparation Archives » trouble finding lye

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: trouble finding lye
MUDDSTUD
Initiate Member
Member # 2678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUDDSTUD   Email MUDDSTUD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any of you guys having problems locating a source for lye ? In the past I've just picked it up at the grocery or hardware store. This year there's none to be found. I've been told that its one of the ingredients needed to make crystal meth and the store owners either wont or don't want to carry it. It sure would be helpful if someone could tell me where I can find/order some. In the past I've used the Red Devil brand. Is there something else I could use instead of lye to clean and remove rust? It's sad that I could probably find the cystal meth easier than I could the lye.
Posts: 22 | From: S.E. ALABAMA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FLSH ETR
Member+
Member # 2351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FLSH ETR   Email FLSH ETR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I thought that my Piggly Wiggly grocery store was just having a run on lye. But now that you mention it, this run has been going on for several months, which is when I decided to purchase some. Might have to dig a little deeper, and check out some stores that cater more to the farmers and their needs. Good luck, Frank. [Cool]
Posts: 622 | From: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
45/70
Member # 357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 45/70   Email 45/70   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a link to a company that sells soap making supplies. They have lye.

Y'all are correct with the reason that lye is
disapperating from grocery shelves. It's used in making crystal meth.

http://www.soapsaloon.com/

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

Posts: 832 | From: South Georgia, usA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxboy43
Initiate Member
Member # 2112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxboy43   Email foxboy43   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i saw some draincleaner at the hardware store that said it contained lye red devil i think you might find some at plumming supply store
Posts: 24 | From: coldspring mn | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, I have good luck cleaning traps in a concentrated solution of unscented automatic dishwasher powder. And I believe that is still readily available.

[Smile] -- Hal

Posts: 8898 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FLSH ETR
Member+
Member # 2351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FLSH ETR   Email FLSH ETR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx Hal! And, how about once again (for those 'senior moments') just how big of a handfull do you use per gal. of water? Frank. [Cool]
Posts: 622 | From: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Use about 1 cup per 5 gallons.

[Smile] -- Hal

Posts: 8898 | From: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boyswannatrap
Initiate Member
Member # 3285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boyswannatrap   Email boyswannatrap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hal,

Do you boil them in the dishwasher soap, or just soak them?

BWP

Posts: 9 | From: Cuba, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Boil, 15 - 30 minutes.

[Smile] -- Hal

alatrap
Initiate Member
Member # 3289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alatrap   Email alatrap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last week i had my girlfriend stop by the grocery store in order to pick up some lye. she called and said that she couldnt find it, she asked an employee, then she asked the store manager. the manager called the man over ordering and he said that they didn't carry it anymore because of the meth amphetamine problem. yesturday i was in that same store and decided to look for myself. although i couldnt find red devil lye, i did find another brand. i think it works great because i put some traps in an alluminum pot yesterday and 7 hrs later the bottom of the pan fell off!
Posts: 3 | From: alabama | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TexA
Member # 2598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexA   Email TexA       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Lye is getting harder to find. The reason is exactly because of the drug trade/mfgring.

SANTI-FLUSH will work the same as LYE. Treat it the same as you would LYE. It is caustic and will burn the same way.

Do NoT add it to hot water, COLD WATER ONLY. Pour the acid/crystals into the water, not the other way around.

--------------------- ------------------------
alatrap is right about lye (or Santi-Flush) eating away aluminum. IT WILL ALSO EAT UP COPPER TRAP TAGS, if you leave them in it long enough.

If you use copper wire to attach your tags, both substances will eat away the copper and your tags will drop off......

I use steel wire and BRASS tags. No problem with either of them in lye or Santi-Flush.....

[ 01-07-2007, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Posts: 182 | From: Estherville, Iowa | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otterwater0566
Member # 1846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Otterwater0566   Email Otterwater0566   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just use vinegar and water for cleaning, rusting, and deodorizing...I have some duke traps that still smell like lye every time they start rusting in the field. So, IMO lye isn't needed, I stocked up before they pulled the lye around here and still have several containers of it, but I prefer other methods and don't even use lye anymore. Each to his own method...LOL
Posts: 440 | From: Austin, AR | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hal
Member # 5

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Hal   Email Hal       Edit/Delete Post 
What does lye smell like? I used lye for years, and never noticed an odor. I just took the lid off a brand new can of Red Devil lye and sniffed. If it has any substantial odor, I'll fly over the can.

On the other hand, I seriously question the use of vinegar as a deorodizing agent. Vinegar has a strong odor.

[question] -- Hal

trapntrade
Initiate Member
Member # 3208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trapntrade   Email trapntrade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used the drain o powder for years with good results for cleaning. I then boil traps and snares in sage brush to give them a dull green look.
Posts: 4 | From: Idaho | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Trap Line Home